Construction of a thermal power station of the refinery started within the complex of the Angarsk Oil Refining Factory in July 1958. According to Order of the State Council of Economy No. 764 as of July 16, 1959, thermal power station of the refinery was transferred to the ownership of Irkutskenergo supply system and was named Irkutsk Thermal Power Station-9 since July 1, 1959.
Today Thermal Power Station-9 provides industrial steam (of various kinds), heat and electric power for industrial platforms of city forming enterprises - Angarsk Petrochemical Company and population of the city.
The installed electric capacity of the station equals 475 MW (due to restriction of capacity of turbine R-100-130 in connection with absence of the consumer of steam); the installed thermal capacity equals 2280 Gcal/h.
Now the staff of the station is 1332 people.